Transporting heavy equipment from place to place is a complicated task that requires the assistance of professionals who are experienced and have the equipment needed to get it done safely and legally. Here are some tips to help you ensure oversized load transport in Denver, CO is done correctly:
- Inspections: Make sure you perform pre-trip inspections of all equipment for safety and regulatory compliance. If at all possible, have another worker double check your inspection and confirm your findings. If you find any damages or possible abnormalities, write them down and report them before continuing. These inspections can help you pinpoint any potential safety issues before you get moving, which can in turn help you avoid an accident.
- Always use a spotter: Make sure you have a spotter when lifting any heavy equipment onto or off of a large transportation vehicle. This gives you some added safety and backup to make sure you don’t hurt the equipment, yourself or anyone else in the area.
- Mark the area: Set out warning signs, barricades and flaggers to make sure the public stays out of the way, whether you’re on or off the road. This is especially important for oversized load transport in Denver, CO—there are federal laws in place regarding the kind of warnings you have to give for oversized loads to make sure the public knows the safety hazards they are facing.
- Watch for obstructions:Keep an eye on the road for any obstructions, particularly those that would be overhead, such as broken trees, out-of-place power lines or low bridges. Ideally you would plan out a route that would avoid overhead obstructions altogether, but there could very well be some unexpected obstructions that require some extra care, so you need to keep a close eye out.
- Make sure cargo is properly secured: All your loaded cargo should be completely secured. Make sure you double check all restraints, as well as the positioning of that cargo inside your vehicle. Check to see if you placed the equipment properly and used the correct equipment and methods to lock it into place.
- Drive safely: While it’s always important to exercise caution and safety while on the road, it’s especially important when you’re traveling with an oversized load. Always wear your seatbelt and keep it on at all times during your journey, no matter what type of vehicle you’re driving. Never drive above the speed limit—you’re carrying a massive load, which will become harder to handle at higher speeds. Only allow other passengers to accompany you if the design of the vehicle or the regulations in your area allow it. Don’t play loud music while carrying an oversized load—you need all your senses sharp. Don’t merge lanes unless you’re completely certain your blind spots are clear and you have signaled with plenty of warning.
These are just a few tips to assist you with oversized load transport in Denver, CO. Contact Osage Specialized Transport today if you have any questions about our services.